Over 60% of the UK is classed as having hard water, which leaves homes suffering from a real limescale problem. If you live in a hard water area, tackling this limescale problem can seem like a constant battle.
From white marks across shower screens to hard white chalky build up on taps and that’s just the problems you can see, throw in damaging appliances and build up within boiler systems and limescale becomes a homes worst nightmare. Here are our top tips to arm yourself with in the fight against calcium and magnesium deposits.
1. Use natural remedies, including Lemon Juice & Vinegar. Keep Limescale down by making up a solution of half vinegar and half lemon juice or water, use this regularly on bathrooms and kitchens as a preventative measure, stopping large scale build up over time. Just make sure you don’t use the solution on delicate surfaces, such as plated taps.
2. Have a water softener installed, this is the ultimate in preventative measures, the softener is the most comprehensive hard water remover, and therefore stops limescale permanently.
3. You can use a vinegar and lemon juice solution to help remove limescale and also keep your washing machine and dishwasher clean and fresh. Just make a half and half cup up and run it though your appliances normal cleaning cycle. This will also help to keep your appliance smelling fresh.
4. Quarter fill your kettle with either lemon juice or vinegar and leave for an hour. Then top up with water and boil the kettle as normal. This should help remove the scale build up. Don’t forget to run plenty of clean water through the kettle afterwards to stop the taste of it in your hot drinks.
5. Habit, get into the habit of wiping taps and surfaces, such as shower screens which get limescale marks on down. This stops the potential build up. If this sounds like a lot of hard work and time consuming, then the best and easiest preventative measure is the installation of a water softener.